The Air We Breathe
January 11, 2006
I didn’t feel good today, I had this nasty headache, was feeling a little dizzy and I noticed, while trying to iChat with people about the Stevenote, that my brain really wasn’t at its best. Lethargy is no stranger in the winter, but this was different.
We’ve been having trouble with our central heating boiler, it’s been making occasional small banging noises and we’ve been trying to get someone out to service the thing for ages, but they’re all so damn busy. Today there was this slight smell of something plasticky melting, so we turned it off.
In lieu of a gas engineer we called our friend, Geoff the builder, because while he isn’t CORGI-registered (a legal requirement for people who service gas appliances), he’s a plumber and knows all about gas stuff. He brought his carbon monoxide meter and guess what! The thing was going off like a Geiger counter in Chernobyl.
You can’t smell CO, or see it, and since even a little CO can cause brain damage or death, it’s lucky we’re still alive!!! It’s a good job that plastic thing was smelling, whatever it was, or we wouldn’t have known.